Monday, December 26, 2011

Dream World

Djibouti; family friends.

It happened to us in Africa where, just for a moment, we saw the real world ...

When you do, it can trigger stress; a thoughtful response is difficult.


  • Denial: "I can't seem to face what I saw - it's fading like a troubling dream."
  • Anger: "The rich are so materialistic. How selfish and spoiled!"
  • Retreat: "The trip rattled me badly, but I'm getting back to normal."
  • Advance: "I came, I saw, I'm learning - I can't return to the dream world."
... it's a shock that refuses to connect comfortably to anything we know. It's hard to process what we see. Many folks never do.

Marilyn with the kids
With one of our teens
and her cousins.

Marilyn went with me to Africa; it took her most of the subsequent year to assimilate what she'd seen. It hurt deeply to think about it for more than a few minutes at a time. It hurt a lot.

It will happen to us in Africa.  Or Asia or eastern Europe or here at home when we encounter the real world.  Up to the challenge?  Can we get outside the box?

P.S.  All the real fun is in the real world.
~ 1 Peter 1:1-9